If you are like me who loves colors and lives for summer clothes, you are probably dreading fall and winter because you don’t want to let go of all the fun colors. What if I tell you, you absolutely do not have to only wear blacks and browns in fall!
Fall is the best time to wear colors. You see colors all around you with the leaves changing their colors to welcome a new season, we can do that too to our wardrobe.
In this post I am sharing some awesome fall colors that you can wear, and I also wanted to help you with color combinations and how to wear them so your style looks cohesive. While, I am firm believer of wearing what you love the most and specially for fall, there are certain colors that just imbibe the fall spirit and will make it easier for you to transition to a new season.
Fall Color Palette
Even though fall colors generally speaking do not change that much, but its also good to stay upto date with what are mostly trending every year, so that you can keep an eye out on outfit inspiration, and mostly make sure that you get the pieces in the colors that you are missing in your wardrobe.
This is my exact process everywhere when I transition my closet, which I am actually about to do pretty soon as the weather has finally decided to change.
These are also great colors to wear for fall which will make you look and feel fall ready. But at the sometime, you can keep on wearing them for winter as well. Thats right!!
Here are some of my favorite fall color palette for this year.
- Green: This is a great color, that you can easily rock in winter as well. But there are also so many shades of this color that I absolutely love the shade palette of green. Some of my favorite shades of green are leaf green, army green, Olive Green and forest green.
- Clay: This is a color or shade of Orange but with more brown tone in it. And I cannot tell you how much I love it. You can also call it dark pumpkin color. And I am obsessed with it for all the good reason. This color looks great on all skin tone and in fact enhances them. It also looks great with any other fall color.
- Red: This is an interesting shade that no one wears in fall, but if you pair it with something white, it can look so good.
- Mustard Yellow: This shade of yellow can be worn all year round. So, if you have a dress, or top that you wore in summer, you can still rock it in fall without having to worry about whether its appropriate or not.
- Wine/Burgundy: A deep burgundy tone of red, its a great alternative to black if are not ready to tackle on all of the black yet. You can also keep on wearing it in winter.
Fall Warm Color Palette
If you noticed, all of the above color tones are warm tones and will work great for fall. But you can also wear some cool tones, if you prefer that in fall:
Some more colors that most of us own a piece of two of are
- Navy Blue: Its the best all year round color that you can wear, but it is also a good fall color that feels calming and blends well with literally any piece. This is the closest to black.
- Indigo: This shade is in the family of navy blue but is more vivid and brighter. This is a great color to sand out and also have some personality in your outfit.
- Purple: This is the best fall cool tone color that is fun and playful. And if you love vibrant colors but don’t like light colors, this color is just perfect for you.
- Magenta: This is my favorite fall and winter shade that works awesome with red, purple, burgundy and is just so fun and vibrant. If you don’t like dull colors, then I know you love magenta.
- Pale Pink: If pink is your shade for all year round, then you probably already wear this shade a lot. I love the softness of pink but with the pale pink shade it brings a withering touch to a garment that looks perfect for fall and winter.
Fall Cool Color Palette
How to Transition to Fall Colors
If you are in between weather or you just are not ready to buy all of the fall color pieces or wear them even, you can easily transition to fall colors gradually with the hep of your summer colors.
But the best way to start wearing fall hues is to pair them with white. White is just the perfect palette which can help you feel like a clean slate and it will go with any of the above shades I mentioned.
I usually wear white footwear. A pair of good white boots can do wonders. You can pair them with black of even colored bottoms like skirts and pants. Trust me, your outfit will look amazing every time effortlessly.
You can also wear white jeans or bottoms and incorporate fall colors as your top or outer layer. A pair of white jeans are like the basic and it will look great with fall colors as well.
Wither you wear sweaters or you layer up, a Pair of good white jeans will always enhance your fall look. And they effortlessly level up your style game as well.
Check out this post where I share some easy tips you can follow to wear white in fall and winter.
Wardrobe Essentials To Invest in Color
This is where you can build an awesome fall color collection slowly each year, so that when fall arrives suddenly, you don’t feel like you are not ready for it, or you have nothing to wear for fall.
This is not only great for your wardrobe, but its also good for your wallet. Lets face it we cannot always buy everything new. Some of my fall essentials have been bought and collected for years that I bring out and enjoy each year.
The key is that you should invest in pieces that are timeless and not a trendy item that will go out of style. You see no matter how much you feel like colors are not at all trendy. They come back each year with a different twist and if you invest in a timeless piece, you can still wear it and look chic.
This is a big misconception a lot of people have, but I am here to prove that wrong.
A good quality coat in fall color is the best investment piece in your closet. My orange tone Wool coat that I own is over 2 years old, but every fall it becomes my statement color. And because the style of the coat is so timeless and structured, it looks good every single year.
Longer and minimalistic coats will always be timeless compared to something that is trendy for a particular season. No matter whether you spend less or more in them, the key is to find a style that will flatter you and be timeless.
Sharing some of my favorite colored coats that are on good price point and will enhance your fall style.
If its not too cold yet for coat season, a good colored jacket can also bring in some fall vibes to your outfit. There are so many styles of jackets these days that I am always excited to wear them as the season changes.
Pick up a color that will go with a lot of your outfits and is in one with your style as well.
I am a big fan of shirt style jackets that look good with everything, even dresses. These have the perfect length to keep you cozy and make you look structured as well.
Colored Blazers & Cardigans
These are my favorite kind of fall pieces. Blazers are great for in between weather, but now a lot of brands have come up with woolen blazers that you can wear in winter as well. And they also come in colors, isn’t that amazing.
A good relaxed blazer in a fall color can enhance all your fall outfits.
Cardigans are a must have for all year round because they are comfortable and perfect layering piece. But if you pick a colored one, it can elevate your simple work from home outfit or even going out outfits
If you are feeling a bit adventurous, colored bottoms can easily add some much needed color to your outfit instantly. And when you are looking for jeans, pants or even skirts, make sure you find a style that flatters your body type, because colored pieces can enhance whatever you are wearing.
I also like to invest in some good colored bottoms that will last me through winter and I can also bring the out he next year. That should be your key thought whenever you shop for colored pieces, because when you fall in love with a color, its important that you can wear them a lot so you can maximize the wear out of them.
Skirts are equally good investments as jeans or pants, because as the weather gets cooler, you can wear them with tights or tall boots that will elevate your outfit even more.
Fall Color Styling
I also want to share some easy fall color combinations that will always look chic and stylish. These outfit formulas will help you come up with put together outfits every time.
You can also easily wear multiple fall colors together and this guide will help you with that.
All of these colors are conventional colors and you can mix and match hem to create so many different outfits.
The key is to create cohesive looks.
You will also notice that I have mixed in cool colors with warm colors. Its an excellent way of create a colorful look that stands out and looks chic. I hope this blog post will help you in wearing and enjoy colors even in fall weather.