Winter season are Puffer Coat season and we all got one black puffer coat that we take out and just layer on everything. But we are never happy with the overall outfit, because lets face it, its a puffer coat which is meant to keep us war, not stylish. Let’s change that!
I have been styling them a bit differently this year and I can tell you I have found some easy ways you can elevate your black puffer coat outfit. These are all practical and wearable ways. I am not sharing any crop top and joggers outfits, though they also look cool just not on me.
Let’s get started then.
How to Find Good Puffer Coat
Even though you are not looking to buy a black puffer coat now, you might do that in future, so it is really important to pay attention to the detail of the puffer coat to see whether its a good purchase for you.
- Check the Fit: I used to think that just sizing up on my puffer coat will do the trick. But its important to see whether you can fit in the coat after thicker layer of clothing. If the coat does not work well even after sizing up when you wear it over a thick coat, it will be tough for you get any wear out of them.
- Pay Attention to the Style: You also need to pay attention to the details like quilted style of the coat, or layering design of the coat. Some designs will not look flattering in you. Like, for example, I cannot wear shawl collar or collared puffer coats since I don’t have a very long neck and with wider face frame, often times I drown in the puffer coat.
- Length of Coat: This is also very important not in terms of how cozy you will look, but whether the coat is made for your body type. Unfortunately if you are on the Petite or Taller side you need to check whether a coat is too long or the waistline is hitting at the wrong spot. These small details make s huge difference.
- Belted/Non Belted: This is a new thing I discovered. If I am buying a super long coat, I make sure that I have a belt to create a waist definition. If the coat is not that long, then a non belted coat would work as well.
- What is the occasion: You cannot wear the same puffer coat everywhere. Its the same with any other piece of clothing. You need to determine why you are buying a particular puffer coat. If its for extreme cold weather, make sure the puffer coat is thick and will keep you warm. If you are buying is for everyday use, make sure it does not have a lot of zippers and other details that will make your outfit messy.
Wearing With Leggings
I know a lot of us wear it with leggings perhaps because its the most convenient and flattering, but I want to share some outfits you can replicate for everyday wear and for extreme cold weather as well.
The reason why leggings look so good with puffer coats because they slim our legs with balances the bulkiness of the puffer coats. If you are in an extreme cold weather, you probably are wearing a lot of layers. That is why wearing leggings becomes more important because it keeps your outfit chic and still cozy.
Sharing some of my favorite looks so far:
Outfit 1: All Black
This is one of the easiest outfit you can put together that looks awesome every time. Going all black natural makes you slimmer and looks more elevated in the winter specially if you are surrounded by a lot of snow. It creates a nice contrasting look.
This is also easy to put together with most styles of puffer coats as well. And if you have snow boots, they do not look out of place and not so chic with an all black outfit.
I added a contrasting handbag just to add a different personality to the look. You can also play with different colors of sunglasses as well to make the outfit look interesting.
All black can sometimes look a bit dull, so its important that you pick some colored accessories and try to keep the textures of material different, which I think is easier for a snow outfit.
Outfit 2: Black & White
In this legging outfit, I decided to wear fleece lined white leggings and added a white base check scarf that compliments the leggings as well.
This black & white outfit also has a hint of color with the handbag and sunglasses, but you can see more of white.
If you are building a snow outfit, its really important to pay attention to the details like here, I also added white gloves to continue the white color tone of the outfit.
This way your entire outfit looks cohesive and put together.
Outfit 3: Colored Sweater
This is my recent favorite puffer coat outfit that enables me to wear puffer coats everyday. Since I live in California even though its cold enough to wear puffer coats, it becomes difficult because you don’t want to look like a snow woman.
But with these faux patent leather leggings from Spanx, I was able to create a chic outfit even with a basic two layered puffer coat.
I added a colored sweater for some much needed color which differentiates this outfit from a snow one. It looks more appropriate for everyday look. And to complete that I used normal ankle boots instead of tall boots.
Wearing With Jeans
Jeans are our best friend for cold weather because they cover our legs, so naturally we want to wear them with puffer coats as well. But, we need to make sure that we don’t look frumpy in them while doing so.
You can avoid that by paying attention to what kind of jeans you are pairing it with and how you are styling the overall looks.
Lets check some outfits that I have created.
Outfit 1: Skinny Jeans
Again another all black outfit with a black skinny jeans, but you can also swap black jeans with any color of skinny jeans and still recreate this look. An all black look feels effortless and stylish specially with a black puffer coat.
In this outfit I am wearing a faux leather puffer coat that adds a contrasting texture to the all black outfits. And adding some jewelry always makes the outfit more stylish and put together.
I chose tall lug sole boots to create a comfy and cozy look that looks balanced with the skinny jeans.
Outfit 1: Straight Leg Jeans
My favorite jeans for 2021 have been these Levis Ribcage Straight leg jeans for so many reason and one of them is t being so versatile.
A straight leg jeans is an excellent alternative to skinny or mom jeans which looks stylish and put together. And you can easily wear ankle boots with them, I have a whole blog post where I am pairing some popular ankle boots with straight leg jeans that will be really helpful for you.
The important style tip is to ensure that your top or knitwear you are picking should not be oversized. It should fit you well because the straight leg jeans paired with the puffer coat will create that oversized look.
That is why I decided to also go for a pointy toe ankle boots which look slimmer and elongate my legs even though they are white in color.
You can easily wear a non belted puffer coat this way which can look a bit boring with any other style of jeans.
There are some more ways you can style puffer coats and look chic, and I will be updating this post with those, so don’t forget to bookmark this page. And Of course your opinions matters, love to know what other popular ways you like to wear a black puffer coat.